Sunday, June 02, 2013

Endurance weekend

Last week I checked out my local race schedule and noticed three late May/early June races I'd listed were back to back to back: The Bluff Point Twilight Trail Run 7.4 miler on a Friday evening; the Pawcatuck Lions 5K the next day on Saturday; and the Montville Lions 5K on Sunday. Running the Bluff Point 7.4 last year, I'd discovered a whole new world of competitive running that demanded I be in command of many more senses simultaneously than those I'm accustomed to using on road. I had resolved to do it again in 2013. But the next day at 10am race director Melanie Diamonte's Pawcatuck Lions 5K was scheduled. This was a race I had for years passed in favor of the annual Susan G. Komen 5K Race for the Cure in Hartford, which was on the Pfizer Running Team's schedule. But ever since the Pfizer team faded into oblivion over the last few years, I'd started taking a serious look at keeping my focus local, and I wanted to finally give Melanie's race a try. So I decided that, since my performance record with next-day races was pretty good, I'd take a shot at it. But the very next day, on the SNERRO calendar, was the Montville Lions 5K, which I also wanted to run. "Screw it!" I said to myself. Why not see what kind of stuff I was made of at age 60? I managed to survive the brutal Colchester Half late February, and I figured doing all three would be a combined mileage of a half marathon with LOTS of rest between legs. So yeah, I decided to do all three... and posted to my Facebook friends this commitment to keep myself from backing out when race day arrived. Fast forward to race weekend. 

Friday was a sweltering day, so I knew no matter how well-prepared I was, I hadn't run fast in the heat this year. So expectations for setting a new land speed record were low. But expectations for beating my 2012 performance were high, since I (finally) hadn't taken the Winter off and I knew based on my half marathon times I could better an 8:30. I ran a Raunig ladder interval workout in the Pfizer fitness center on Wednesday following a week of long slow distance that saw a weight gain of almost 2 lbs, likely attributable to core training muscle mass buildup. I felt pretty strong. I decided to get to Bluff Point around 5pm to ensure I got a race day spot, since the race application noted the field would be capped at 400. Helping the pre-race logistics process along was the inimitable Rosanne DiRoma, who texted to ask when I was leaving and that she had decided to attend as a cheerleader rather than participate due to a nagging muscle soreness issue. After snapping a few pix and doing a light warm-up, I decided to wear my New Balance MT10RX with the steel rock shield plates in the soles because I didn't trust myself to wear minimalist shoes at that venue. Chatted with Beth Lazor-Smith, who was running Bluff for 4th straight year. Way Hedding was wearing his tie-dyed tee shirt and being his usual entertaining self. Starting well back in the pack, I picked my way past a bunch of runners who had gone out too fast, only to realize I'd made the same mistake myself with a 7:10 mile 1 split. I slowed down to about an 8:30 to catch my breath and recover for the long haul, knowing it was my only shot at finishing respectably better than last year. About 3 miles in I was passed by Jeff Van Deusen, which would later play a key role in how events unfolded. After crossing over the railroad and heading toward Haley Farm, suddenly a pack of runners came toward me imploring that I was going the wrong way and needed to turn around. At the front of the pack was Jeff. I turned around and doubled back, noticing the turn marker was on the ground. No wonder it was missed by so many! I fell into a rhythmic pace after turning in the Haley Farm parking lot. It was about this point I recognized John Sacrey was pulling away strong and I'd have no chance of keeping up with him. The heat was having a big impact on my respiration and slowing me down. I finished with an 8:13, well below 2012's 8:33. Not bad considering the 30+ seconds lost making the wrong turn correction. I think it was a great result. Good enough for 2nd in the 60-something class behind a strong John Sacrey. Thanks Jeff for being gracious and insistent that I turn back!

Saturday morning I knew I was going to be able to run but had no idea what kind of power I'd have. Usual bagel downed with grapefruit juice four hours before gun time and some extra strong coffee. I decided to lay on the deck and catch some early morning sun between 7:45 and 8:15 to relax, then made the easy drive to Pawcatuck on I-95 and RT 2. Arrived to do race day registration and chatted with Carol Rose & Mike Boumenot. Lots of familiar faces. Mac Ordonio. WTAC. James Martinson was signed up as "Perry Winkle". SNERRO guys were usual funny selves. At the gun I knew right away the speed wasn't going to be there so I tried to find a breathing rhythm that was comfortable enough to carry me the 1st 2.5 miles, then I'd see if there was anything in the tank to ramp up the finish. Just like in the Bluff Point race, I recognized I didn't have the stuff to pick off anyone in front of me in the last half mile, certainly not Mac Ordonio (who I typically pace myself to) so I decided to just go anaerobic and speed as fast as I could anyway and hope for a decent time in the low 7 minute pace range. Managed to eke out a 7:29, way slower than I had envisioned. But good enough for 2nd place in the 60-69 division. On to Sunday.

Repeated morning race prep from Saturday. Caught a few more rays and relaxed. Made the drive up to Montville Polish Club race venue for race day signup. More familiar faces, including Bill Ghio, who also ran Pawcatuck Saturday. Clem McGrath, who noted progress in Misquamicut cleanup and that Paddy's was open. Ron Dombrowski, John Brown, Dino Festa, Ron Gale, Pat Phillips, and Pfizer workmate Michele Quintanilla with son Morgan, who was running. Another hot one. Warmed up with Dino, who along with many others felt the hilly race course was going to discourage participation. Wasn't too excited about hills myself, but was prepared for them with good hard workouts with running pal Al Litwin in Rocky Neck. Another fast start followed by a midrace settling down to a comfortably hard pace to set up for a strong finish. Hills is an understatement. Lots of 'em. Great payoff downhill last half mile. Ran another disappointing pace (7:35), but need to keep the 3 days in a row in perspective. 1st place in the 60-69 division, just ahead of Dino who also turned 60 this year only three days earlier. We're everywhere! Food with a couple cold beers after worked wonders on fatigue.

All in all a tough three days, but very rewarding. Good to establish a baseline. Better yet to enjoy socializing with good friends. Going to take a day off from running Monday and relax, do some stretching, ride the road bike during the week, then see about ramping up the hill workouts.

3 comments:

Dark Sky Runner said...

Great write-up, Don! I give you credit, this was a sweltering race weekend, for sure...I had too much on my plate to make some of those races, but it was very cool to look at the results and see so many familiar names! Looking forward to the Niantic Bay 10 on the 14th, unless I get to squeeze something else in sooner :)

Beth said...

Great recap Don! Interesting view from the front of the pack!! Here is to hoping the Niantic 10K isn't a sufferfest! *clink*

Jeff said...

Don, enjoyed reading your blog and especially on the Pawcatuck Lions write-up. That was a HOT day! Will be at the Niantic Bay also on Friday.
Jeff Walker, WTAC