Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Update - Last 2 weeks

7/9/2013 - Stonington Fun Run

Warm, but not oppressive. Ran hard, as I hadn't run long and hadn't run repeats since the Chester race... only a string of 5-milers at work when time allowed. 22:45 according to the timekeeper. Felt good physically. The upper left hamstring tenderness was clearing. Washed it down on the Dog Watch dock with a couple beers.

7/14/2013 - New London Sailfest 5K

Oppressive. Felt like triple digits. Shirtless by necessity. Well-hydrated for this race, lesson learned from previous outings. 22:37 at the finish (7:16), good enough for 1st place in the over-the-hill division... but not even close to my best Sailfest race.

7/16/2013 - Stonington Fun Run

If Sailfest was oppressive, this was freaking insane. 93 degrees according to my car thermometer and off-the-charts humidity. I showed up intending to run hard, and did my best to stick close to Al Phillips, whose pace seemed where I wanted to be... about a 7:30ish something or other. Wilted at about the 2 mile mark. Amby Burfoot cruised by making it look easy while I held up into a 10-second walk to gauge my survival chances. I limped in with a 24:00, sweating what felt like Niagra Falls. An ice cold Mystic IPA out on the dock really helped. Lesson for the day: Hot = bad.

7/21/2013 - Montville Masters 10K

Hilly. HOT. Humid. 4 miles of up; 2 miles of screaming down. 50:23 humbling minutes, good enough for third in the 60-64 division behind Wayne Jolley and John Sacrey.

Next up: long run with Al Litwin Wednesday, then trip to Vermont for several days. Looking forward to the Ocean Beach Kelley run August 3rd.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I thought about the masters, 40 and up. I may have placed in my division 45 - 49... but enjoyed the peaceful cool 13 with a side of rain!!! See you next week!!!